Wednesday, May 16, 2007

DeFuniak Springs' true patriotism

I've always admired small towns, and I especially admire DeFuniak Springs this week as its residents collectively paid respect to Tim Padgett, the homewtown soldier killed last week in Afghanistan.

On Monday, Padgett's body was returned to DeFuniak Springs. Residents lined the street from the airport to show their appreciation of Padgett's ultimate sacrifice. Today, many of them will do the same for Padgett's funeral and burial.

I'm sure the town's response means a great deal to Padgett's family. DeFuniak Springs also is an example for every community in Northwest Florida, large or small. When a soldier dies on our behalf, it's a loss we all should acknowledge.

4 Comments:

At May 17, 2007 at 6:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This man died doing an honorable deed in keeping his commitment to the US military. But how dare you suggest he died fo us, he died needlessly for George Bush, not Americans.

 
At May 20, 2007 at 3:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patrick - you can DARE to suggest anything you pretty well want to BECAUSE of this soldiers brave sacrifice.
And Mrs Padgett, should you read this,(and being a mom of an Afghanistan deployed soldier, I believe you probably will) please know that the previous readers comment indicates a very small and ignorant mind. And even if I'm the small and ignorant one, this person does not speak for ME, an American. I refuse to be spoken for when brave men like your son die to preserve my rights and freedoms.

 
At May 23, 2007 at 9:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you taxpayer panther don't speek for me or over 70 percent of Americans. This entire war is a Bush scam and I hope your son, unlike Mrs Padgetts' survives the ordeal. I guess me and anyone that opposes this war is ignorant, ok but end the lie.

 
At May 30, 2007 at 10:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous - let me first thank you for your well wishes for my son serving in Afghanistan. It proves the vast majority of Americans on either side of the war issue can agree on something, the well being of our soldiers. I can somewhat appreciate your convictions but felt their expressions shown towards a commemorative article that would be likely viewed by this soldiers family needed to be rebuked not for the sentiment but for the placement. The author of this article intended to console this family's loss and edify a young man fighting for what HE believed in. To imply that he spoke out of turn or that their loss is needless is hurtful and can serve no purpose here. Your forum for dissent doesn't belong here.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home