Monday, July 23, 2007

A speed limit challenge

Some courageous anonymous person sent the following comment to my blog that speed limits on a few roads in the area are set too low:

"Pat Rice is 100% correct and I fully concur with his suggestion. We should raise speed limits by 10 MPH on a trial basis for one year. The first streets we should do the one year study are the streets where Pat Rice, Charley Morris, the Mayor, the FWB police Chief and all city Commissioners reside. After one year lets get thier feelings on raising the speed limits on thier streets. If they're happy with the new increases then I'll be happy too. I'm sure we'll get positive feedback from our public servants and I personally look forward to this one year study. Let's go for it, what's one year of increased speeds on the roads in front of thier homes for starters. Good idea Pat, way to set the example."

Thank you, courageous anonymous person, for the email. I think you miss my point, but I'm glad so many others got it. My point is that some speed limits on some MAIN roads are too slow. The one I specifically pointed out is Hurlburt Field Road, which was recently expanded to five lanes -- two in each direction with a turn lane in the middle -- but still carries a 25 mph speed limit. That speed limit on that road is ridiculous. By the way, just this morning as I was traveling on Hurlburt Field Road at about 33 mph, an Okaloosa County deputy passed me. I sped up to 40 mph in an effort to keep up with him, but he was still pulling away. The deputy proves my point; it's nearly impossible to stay within the speed limit on that stretch or road.

As for my street -- I live at 1003 Sandra Drive in the Parrish Point subdivision -- it would be fine with me if to raise the speed limit. I don't think it would matter much. The street's only about 100 yards long, with a stop sign on each end.

But really, courageous anonymous person, thanks for writing, and please keep the comments coming. And by the way, "thier" is actually spelled "their."

1 Comments:

At July 23, 2007 at 10:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really do agree 100% with your idea. If we raise the speed limit a slight 10mph then we'll be able to determine if the low end of the speed limit is warranted. At least then we can say that we have all the facts and can see the results, good or bad.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home